Friday 6 January 2012

Critical reflection and Summary: Digital Portfolio

                                http://leannewatson07.blogspot.com/
                        Critical reflection and Summary: Digital Portfolio
When I initially started the process of my inquiry plan I wanted to evaluate the knowledge I currently held and where this could be developed further. From establishing the skills I felt were necessary in my line of work, the gaps in my knowledge started to appear and I began to see where I could further my research (Appendix A). Stephanie Thomas suggested I do a capability assessment to clearly show my abilities (Appendix B). I graded myself and discovered quite a few areas where I would like to become proficient; however I believe it is more beneficial to focus specifically on one area. I also came across a Ven diagram which helped me to compare my skills as a dancer and a dance teacher and where the two coincide with each other.
I didn’t want to make the decision of my inquiry just from my own evaluations, so I created a SIG group. A lot of the discussions were generated around the importance of dance inside and out of education and teaching qualifications. This is where the majority of my knowledge and interest lies however I wanted to explore other routes giving myself options. So I set up a SIG group on ‘the transition into choreography’ (Appendix C). I found partaking in discussions vital and really inspiring as it produced new thoughts and ideas for me to explore. Through my own assessments and discussions with fellow peers I was starting to narrow down my line of inquiry. At this stage I was leaning towards the importance of dance inside and out of education.
With this inquiry in mind I went about researching the relevant codes of practice and ethical procedures I would need to undertake. I started by establishing what I know already and currently practice (Appendix D). I currently work for several organisations so I decided to research the correct procedures of one in particular and see how this differed to the knowledge I had currently obtained (Appendix E). I also wanted to research ethics further as I felt this is an important topic and one which should be adhered to in my inquiry (Appendix F).
After further discussions with my tutor and fellow peers I felt my line of inquiry was still too broad and could be more focused. So I decided on the ‘Importance of dance inside education’. This will enable me to produce a tight focus on my inquiry.
Having reached this decision I began exploring the tools that would be suitable for my inquiry (Appendix G). The results were both surprising and informative and gave me the preparation I needed. Whilst undertaking my research I found Delicious a useful tool to help compile all relevant literature and resources I came across (Appendix H). Finding relevant literature has given me a greater knowledge and support of the ideas developed in my chosen line of inquiry (Appendix I).
This module has prepared me with the relevant tools and ethical considerations needed to conduct my inquiry. I feel myself and others will benefit from the knowledge and exploration of this inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment