Friday 4 November 2011

5B

I have researched regulations and codes of practice in a current workplace where I teach dance and also with the ISTD which is the society I took my teaching qualifications through.

The main objective is that we behave in a professional and safe manner, bringing enjoyment and learning to the pupils.
The ISTD really focuses on the appropriate size of classes and each class being of similar abilities,. My local authority suggests 10 children to one adult. Therefore each pupil is treated individually and their own needs are met accordingly. I feel this is an important point, everyone will work at different speeds with difficult abilities, and I believe this is a tough task for any teacher to try to work equally with the whole class and not neglecting any individual.

I have a child protection policy that must be adhered to at all times. This states the definitions of abuse such as: physical,emotional,sexual, neglect. Now I was aware of abuse particularly sexual and physical, but reading about emotional abuse has really made me think as I wasn't aware of this fully.

The definition of emotional abuse is 'a persistent lack of affection, rejection, isolation, exclusion, deliberate humiliation or threats. It may also refer to an absence of praise, encouragement and stimulation'
It had lead me to thinking do I praise all students equally? have I fully stimulated the whole classes needs? I feel I praise students when it is justified, I never just focus on one student, but have I been fully engaging with the whole class?

They focus on the safety of studios, correct flooring , heating, a safe place to get changed, fire regulations. I was fully aware of most safety procedures. However sometimes I do not teach at my regular place of work and I cover for all different teachers, and I always thought it was their studios and they have to make sure all the safety precautions are in place. But I have now realised  from these codes of practice that when you are alone it is solely your responsibility to check all the correct procedures and adhere to the relevant regulations as you are fully responsible for all of the pupils in your care. Something I will be taking a lot more care over in the future.

One last point I was very much unaware of was the keeping of records and confidentiality. Luckily at the moment any registers regarding puils persoanl details I have are all on paper . But if you keep your files on the computer you may need to register with the information comission. This is just something ti check out depending on what information you hold.

I feel taking a closer look at these codes of practice have highlighted the grey areas that I really was unsure about. I would like to look further into the procedures in the theatre I work as a dancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment