Friday 18 November 2011

6b pilot results

The results from my pilot tasks have left me with a great deal of thinking. They have been a huge help in stimulating thoughts and ideas for my line of work.
I found the pilot survey of huge interest I have analysed my results so far but would still like to attain lots more so if anyone could fill it in that would be great :
 
I found this survey quick and simple once I had decided upon my chosen questions, It was difficult to chose the right words without being misleading, I chose a few one word answers then a few with explanations to try to get why and how answers. This is a great way of obtaining the most results in a short period of time. Most people have been very co operative I think that is the bonus of doing a survey on line people can do it when they have time ans really think about what they want to say, whereas in an interview situation people feel more obliged and under pressure to answer immediately.
Most of my participants have been 21-29 years old which is great for my perspective right now as they are all in a similar situation to me and are learning from the same position I am. I had 10% in a much older age range- people who are already established teachers with years of experience, I would like to get more responses from this age range as there experience alone is going to be of a great benefit. I need to find better ways to hit this age range maybe online is not the best way, maybe arranging a interview/ focus group would be better suited. There was a higher percentage of participants that hadn't made the transition into a teacher but would like to make that transition, I would defiantly need to find more participants who have made that transition.
 
I decided to arrange an interview with one of the more experienced participants who had 25years experience in the industry. I prepared semi-structured questions so this allowed us flexibility. I found this one to one meeting fascinating as it gave me a chance to ask all the questions i needed and follow onto to new stimulus that arose. It was great to discover what techniques this person has discovered work or don't over time. I defiantly felt I was getting more qualitive answers this way as supposed to quantitive on the survey. Unfortunately this tool is time consuming and this is only one persons view to interview enough people with varied experience would take time.
 
I am lucky enough to be around lots of teachers and classes so I find my self observing on  a weekly basis. I prefer this tool as it enables me to see first hand the tools of my industry. I am constantly viewing new techniques teachers  are trying, to see what works and more importantly what children or students it works on. If I am in a class observing i do contemplate are the children behaving differently because I am there watching? something which I always discuss with the teacher afterwards, to see if there have been any behavior changes. I normally take notes as this is allowed by the principle never record or video as this would lead to permission from all their parents.
 
I find a focus group online like our sig's is of enormous help as you can discuss in your own time and look back over the thoughts and analyse, I think forming a focus group face to face is going to be difficult I plan on engaging in one with my current cast, however it is difficult to get the time all together.
 
Please fill out my survey as I would like to analyse a wider range of people. I have so many thoughts and paths to explore from my recent research.

No comments:

Post a Comment