Thursday 3 November 2011

Capability self assesment

Thanks to Rosemary and Stephanie's advice I have decided to assess my capabilities as a performer and teacher.  I'm hoping this will help distinguish where my strength and weaknesses lye, therefore leading me to where I need to develop my knowledge and skills and giving me support in my chosen title.

Rosemary grades capability in the following format:

Novice
Advanced beginner
Competent
Proficient
Expert

I have tried to be as honest as possible with myself as I think it can be very difficult performing an accurate assessment on yourself.

  • Dance Performance  - Proficient
  • Dance Technique -     Proficient
  • Audition Skills -         proficient
  • Self management -     Competent
  • Teaching Skills  -       Proficient
  • Professionalism -        proficient
  • Buisness Skills -         Competent
  • Learning Routines -     Proficient
  • Choreographic Skills - Competent
  • Networking -              Competent
  • Safety Awareness -     Competent
From analysing this I would ultimatly  like to become proficient in all aspects but realisticly I need to focus on what is going to enable my future, I don't want to become 'a jack of all trades a master of none as they say'.

Through compiling this list I have become aware of the fact that a lot of my techniques over lap, I am trained as a dancer and dance teacher and quite clearly these two coinsied with eachother. I came across the Venn diagram and thought this would be helpfull to identify what techniques purely enable me as a daner or dance teacher and what I need for both.

This diagram has given me a clear idea of where and what I need to develop, the skills I have as a dancer are all there to make the transition into a teacher a lot smoother. I want to enhance my skills as a dancer and become an expert where possible. Therefore leading me to move onto the skills needed solely as a dance teacher.
I am hoping I can now develop these skills through my work on this course.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you found the Capability Assessment useful Leanne - it helped me to identify the gaps in my knowledge and think about how I should prioritise developing new skills. Thanks for sharing your diagram above - it's a great way of clearly seeing what skills you already have in order to transfer into a teaching career.

    ReplyDelete