Sunday 6 November 2011

Further thoughts on Ethics.

After looking at the research I have discovered on codes and regulations in my workplace I have gone through the reader again to see how this compared.
Each society and workplace is different you must research and check the regulations in each venue. Ethics covers a much wider range of aspects than I originally thought. I believe we are all aware of the way we react to people and situations and the way we behave, but this is because we know that's the right way to behave but we don't necessarily know why it is, or the ethical issues that are attached.

Case study dance class (professional practice reader-ethics) This really got me thinking, as to some extremes I agree with the teacher that If a pupil cannot take criticism in class then they will not last in a dance company. Depending on the age of the pupil if over 16 and they are looking at a career in dance they need to be able to take criticism and I believe you would be a bad teacher if you were not honest with pupils. Is this ethically wrong? is this classed as emotional abuse? I feel there are so many rules and boundaries it is difficult to know when you are stepping out side of them. All of my dance teachers from a young age and particulalrly when I went to stage school were very strict and honest and said some quiet shocking things, but to me this got me where I am today and without them pushing and telling me what I was terrible at I would not have improved. Without this honesty I would have been fooling myself and wasting a lot of money.
This leads me onto a quote from the reader,
'Justice differs from state to state and indeed with the passage of time. Social changes have rendered certain types of conduct which were acceptable to being not so'
Whats right and wrong can change depending on the time and circumstance. Ethics have changed to conform with the times for example gays now being legal. I believe this is true to the teaching profession, what was acceptable when i was a pupil is not necessarily now.

Thinking about the action 'lying' I believe most of us need to tell a white lye from time to time, I do in auditions about my height, availability, even my hair, but I believe this is of no harm to anyone and is for the greater good if it gets me work, therefore deemed as consequentialist.

It has also made me think about what I need to consider in my own professional inquiry.
  • The importance of digital data security
  • Forming my conclusion from looking at situations from different views and creating a logical argument.
  • Remaining un biased at all times.
  • Asking questions that are of relevance, particularly if personal.
I feel ethics will be a never ending quest to uncover grey areas, and understand the ethics that do relate to my industry on a daily basis. However it is something I am far more in tune with now and not so ignorant about.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post Leanne - it's good to think about how examples from the reader relate directly to your own work, which you have done. Your post provoked some thoughts for me about when it is ok to lie...usually I would try not to ever lie, but like you, I don't see the harm in telling little white lies in auditions etc. I guess the moral question is where we draw the line, and having good judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie, I think when a white lie is for the greater good and of no harm to anyone this may be deemed acceptable? However i think there is a fine line and one which is often crossed by many in our industry, but i hope and believe there are consequences for such actions. I think sticking to your own morals and making that judgement is important.

    ReplyDelete