Monday 21 November 2011

inquiry plan.

So I seem to have got myself a little confused lately I think I have been trying to explore too many paths and have not explored one deeply, I feel just as I begin to develop one route it leads to another and so on. I’ve been mainly exploring the transition from a performer to a teacher and also the importance of dance inside and out of education. My problem lies with trying to incorporate my previous training which was in dance, however I also gained my teaching qualifications alongside this and also my future prospects and why I really want my career to go down this path.
After a conversation with Rosemary we think it may be a better idea to keep teaching out of my degree title.  Maybe focus more on Dance education or dance performance? I’ve started to ask myself some questions. Why do I want to become a teacher? Do I want to be a teacher inside education as well as out? I have experience in teaching syllabus for the ISTD and also teaching dance inside state schools, I believe I want the option to do both as I feel both are highly important for children. Which had lead me to the pros and cons of dance inside and outside of education. I was lucky enough to pursue dance from a young age privately and went into a private dance college, however I also did take gcse dance, a btec in performing arts and a’s dance. What is the importance of dance on students from a young age to older? I was lucky enough to meet up with a dance teacher today who I expressed my confused thoughts to and she told me something quite interesting. She currently teaches for herself with a society but mentioned that a lot of private societies including her own are starting to look to merge with the education system. Meaning that when a child takes a dance exam at a certain level they can also gain ucas points helping with their education. Maybe this would lead to more parents supporting dance if they feel there is also an educational gain? Something which I am interested to explore.
I am proposing an inquiry title ‘ The importance of dance inside and out of education’. 
This is just a preliminary thought as like I said I am torn between a couple of big questions. Any thoughts would be of great help.

1 comment:

  1. Does your inquiry include
    'the dance activities held in academic schools' as well as 'converting dance training to academic qualification'?

    This probably is an example of the latter case...
    I am enrolled in a pre-professional training course associated to a dance company in Singapore. An after-school dance class happens every weekday during school term.
    It 'also work with each student’s academic schools with notice of involvement in the programme and request credit as part of the co-curricular activities.'(from Singapore Dance Theatre Website).
    Co-curricular Activities are 'non-academic activities that all Singaporean students must participate in. This policy was introduced by the Ministry of Education, as a means to enhance social interaction, leadership, healthy recreation, self-discipline and self-confidence.' (Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-curricular_activity_(Singapore) )
    Sorry if I had misunderstood your inquiry title!

    ReplyDelete