Sunday 13 March 2011

2d inquiry

I have been a dancer for a few years now, so naturally my experience is taking me into other fields such as choreography and teaching.  Through growing as a dancer and being lucky enough to have the experience, I have started to become really enthusiastic about choreography. I have many people I admire some more famous than others who inspire me and I feel i have learnt a lot from.
 Mia Michael's is a huge inspiration to me a very passionate and emotional choreographer. Here is a couple of 'Mias' quotes
"If everyone could pull the blanket away from their eyes, they'd see that there's magic in everything," 
It's about being aware at every moment and keeping your eyes open,"  "There's inspiration in everything we see."  I think this is in keeping with the course at the moment in reflecting on our work and being aware of our experiences. It draws me to think of my journal where at first some days I would struggle to find something to say, now I am looking and reflecting on every moment however insignificant it may seem at the time.

From the training I received and the industry as it is to date. I get very angry about the expectations that are put on performers and what is classed as being 'successful'.  From my family being in the industry, from a young age I wanted to travel around the world with my job and was brought up to believe that as long as I was doing what I love and earning a good wage I would be very happy.  Cruise Ships, contracts abroad etc were very frowned upon at my college it was made clear we were all expected to go straight into the west end. Something which really annoyed me after training in London for such a long time the last thing I wanted was to work there for the rest of my career, it was something I would like to go back and do at a later date. I must admit this stereotype isn't as bad as when I was in training but is still strongly there. I remember being asked in a lesson 'If you go into teaching or choreography don't you think you are giving up'. Of course not I admire the performers that manage to make this transaction successfully as I think it can be a difficult one and just because you are a great performer that doesn't mean you can teach or choreograph. I think this is sad  so many of my friends who I trained with have given up and not performed at all because they did not get into the industry where they were expected to. 
I admire my teacher and choreographer Barbara Evans she did not fit into the stereotype from her era, she was told too small? too different? none of which led her to give up she is a very successful choreographer now who inspired me a lot whilst training and without her I may have ended up giving up and not having the success I have. She shares my views and does a lot to inspire young performers.

I love being able to wake up and spend the day doing something I love and feel passionate about that's something not a lot of people can say and something we should not take for granted.
 Lil' C (dancer and choreographer) says the only thing that defines inspiration is that it's constantly changing: "When you evolve and progress as a human being, your views shift." This is what excites me our views are always changing, our experiences and progressions in life hugely effect us. 5 years ago I would never have been interested in choreography but from being made to choreograph and inspired by others around me my views have changed.

Something I don't understand is the inspiration choreographers get from all different things, I get inspired by images, music, emotions.
Mia Michaels said:
"I use anything, from photographs to the way makeup looks on someone, a hairstyle or just flipping through fashion magazines."
this is a technique I would like to explore and open myself to. I want to be able to be inspired from my everyday life.
Lil' C says:
You have to be vulnerable enough to feel your core and feel what you're going through," he insists. "That's the problem with a lot of dancers -- they're not vulnerable enough to communicate what's going on inside. You have to dig deep."
This is a new level to my profession I want to reach, I do connect with my emotions of course I do as a dancer, but there is always a part of me not fully letting go a part that is still thinking and not feeling.

I love to use film when choreographing, for example big screens on the stage showing clips, text, images. I feel it gives another depth to pieces and more for the audience to see and explore. I would like to see where I could take this, what other imagery could be effective? Art? Film? how could I shape this in a piece differently. I want to explore more choreographers and the techniques and inspiration they use. How can I use my life experiences more in my work?

4 comments:

  1. I found your thoughts really interesting Leanne. I can definitely relate to what you said about people having negative perceptions or looking down on certain areas of work, it's just the same with acting. I think performers often get too distracted by what other professionals think of their career choices and we really need to look inside ourselves, take control and make our own decisions without shame.

    I would love to hear about your developing thoughts about using film as a stimulus for choreography or incorporating it into live dance. I love seeing multi media productions - they can really stimulate your senses. I once saw a theatre production that used live video to zoom in on certain expressions or body parts of the actors. I would love to see a dance piece in this way...allowing us to see the dancer as whole and then their feet for example. Or perhaps filming from different angles so we get a 360 degree view...I think that would be exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks stephanie thats a great idea thank you thats really got me inspired and thinking. I think that would be amazing to see the whole of the dancer and be interesting to focus in on the body parts working seperatly.

    yes I feel I have been lucky enough to be surrounded by people that have encouraged all of my decisions, it makes me sad how many colleagues havn't had the strength to take control of their careers and not care what others are thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leanne - further to our conversation about theatre & film, and how they can be mixed, I thought you might find it interesting to check out some NT Live productions. If you follow this link to my blog post the web address is there - it is isn't exactly what you were talking about before but I thought it might be a good source of inspiration to begin thinking about the merger of theatre and film.

    http://stephaniethomas-blog.blogspot.com/2011/03/nt-live.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I am witness to here is professional networking - both intra-disciplinary and trans-disciplinary. In order to advance practice we need to draw upon other professional knowledge and expertise.

    ReplyDelete