Sunday 25 March 2012

inquiry analysis

I have been carrying out my inquiry by holding interviews, observations and partaking myself.
I have gathered the narratives from 6 different dance teachers and lecturers on their views on what the benefits are from partaking in dance classes. I have studied 3 pieces of litertaure by laban where they have carried out studies on the impacts of contemporary dance classes which discuss the scientific findings from these studies. Also a piece of literature from the scottish curriculm on the arts, describing the skills and outcomes that the students recieve from the arts curriculum particularly dance classes.
I have recieved the narratives from a class of 20 students taking dance classes- on how they feel after their dance classes and what benefits and skills they feel they may be gaining. Also I have my own observational data from watching various students in dance classes and from partaking in the classes myself.
I am now going on to compare what the different teachers said if their views vary at all and also how this compares to the literature. I will compare what the students felt to what i felt from partaking in the classes and what the literature says in comparison to my observations.

I have started to noticed themes emerging in particular huge similarities with peoples opinions and the scientific evidence found in literature. I have been surprised to notice that the students are not aware of the skills and benefits they are recieving from dance classes to them it is all about enjoyment. One teacher dicussed the benefits gained outside of dance leading onto other careers (the wider creative learner) this has given me more questions to ask as i beleive this goes much deeper than just a dance class. I would now like to know more about this and the part creativity plays on the students so i will search further relevant literature on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment