Sunday 27 February 2011

1b: My initial thoughts on professional communication technologies.

When I first read through the course reader I realised this is a topic I know little about. Although I use web 2.0 in my everyday life socially and professionally I did not realise I was doing so, I did not even realise the definition of web 2.0. This is something I am facinated about although I am part of various networking sites I havnt even began to take full advantage of what web 2.0 has to offer. I am not saying I fully agree to living my life through social networking I am still very much on the fence about the effects it has on my life, but I am intriged to explore this and discuss other peoples views.

There is an interesting point that we are indeed taking part and creating these networks, by meerly having a facebook profile you are a part in creating that network and database whether you post and blog or not.
We believe that social networking and facebook in particular are allowing us to keep in touch and communicate with more people that we maybe would have lost touch with in the past. Is this true? Do we use such sites to meerly drop the odd email and look at friends profiles thinking that is enough rather than actually taking the time to meet up with friends and share your lives personally. Of course we couldn't possibly find the time to do this with everyone so facebook does allow us to have an insight into peoples lives, but I do worry that we are hiding behind computers too much and not creating enough personal experiences.

I feel like social networking has sped up my life it enables me to connect with such a wide community in the space of seconds, this course is going to give me a good chance to sit back and reflect on the choices I make in reflection to web 2.0.

No comments:

Post a Comment